Rakitic: No issue with Luis Enrique Clasico snub

  • 0
The summer signing from Sevilla was left on the bench for the game against Real Madrid on October 25 but he insists that he respected the coach's decision
Ivan Rakitic insists he had no issue with Luis Enrique's decision to bench him for last month's Clasico, admitting that is well aware that he is still "getting used to" Barcelona's style.
The Croatia international joined the Catalans from Sevilla for a reported €20 million during the summer and made a bright start to life at Camp Nou.
However, a relative dip in form saw him replaced by veteran midfielder Xavi in the starting line for the October 25 meeting with Real Madrid.
Rakitic, though, says he was not angered by his demotion to the bench and remains intent on adapting to Barca's famed possession-orientated brand of attacking football.
“I respected the boss’s decision to leave me out, and to me it doesn’t hurt more not to play at the Santiago Bernabeu than it does not to play against Rayo [Vallencao] or leave me in the stands at Eibar,” the 26-year-old confessed.
“I’m happy with what I’m doing but I know I’m not 100 per cent and there are still things I need to improve upon.
“Therefore, I want to take every opportunity to convince the boss he can trust me. If he picks me then I want to show it against Sevilla [on Saturday].
“The style here is different to Sevilla. If I played in the same position it would still be different because Barca’s style is unique.
“I’ve quickly picked up the Coach’s and Barca’s ideas but I want to get better. I’m very self-critical."
Barca's form in recent weeks has been heavily criticised, with the club having followed up their 3-1 loss in Madrid with a shock 1-0 defeat at home to Celta.
However, with the Blaugrana having since responded with back-to-back away wins, over Ajax in the Champions League and Almeria in La Liga, Rakitic is at pains to point out that the situation is not as bad as some pundits are making out.
“There are fine margins," he argued "If Leo [Messi] had scored to make it 2-0 in the Bernabeu we don’t know how it would have ended up, or even if [Gerard] Pique hadn’t slipped and given away a penalty, it would all have been different.
“Also, if we hadn’t hit the woodwork three or four times against Celta we’d have won two or three nil, but that’s football.
“Not everything is bad and we know we must improve, but generally we are positive and the important thing is that we all believe in the same idea.
“It’s like a car that needs fine-tuning and when everything is running smoothly it will be a lot easier."
Barca sit second in La Liga, two points behind Madrid, ahead of this weekend's meeting with Rakitic's former club, Sevilla, at Camp Nou.

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment